(keitai-l) Re: J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 07/15/03
> I think you're painting an overly critical picture here. Maybe the
> people you know just don't get it. :) Besides as a current customer I
> don't really care that much about what rebranding my provider does,
> do I?

Now look in the mirror and repeat 3 times: I am German. I am not
relevant. I am not a typical Japanese customer. :)

The last time you tried to explain us that your (German) mother would
never read a big Japanese manual for a typical Japanese handset.
And you were so right!

> Oh, and changing everyone's email address should really make everyone
> aware, even your mentally challenged friends. Unless they search for
> the (probably disappearing?) J-Phone shops forever, to ask for advice.

It's always difficult to change an established name and you can make
it good or not so good. I think that Vodafone didn't do the best job
yet, because they double-branded everything, but they didn't really
explained that Vodafone is now (will be) J-Phone. So what you call
my "mentally challenged" friends are just confused customers and
confusing customers are never good customers. Do you understand me,
Bernd?

> I think with the clever branding going they may actually gain
> customers. But I ain't a marketing dude (but I used to be a branding
> person, many moons ago, and I still remember "below the line" and all
> that)

If you read my posts carefully, you will find that I said "good luck
Vodafone". I also believe it will work out in future, it worked out
for AU. But there will be the time of confusion. And this time is
critical.

Funny, just this morning I had a meeting with 2 people famous for
researching the mobile industry and we all agreed that the people
working in the industry know all statistics and everything, but they
have normally no idea what the average, individual user thinks.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp