(keitai-l) Re: J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!

From: EGIS Tokyo <hoffmann_at_egis.co.jp>
Date: 07/15/03
Dear list,

To share my two cents on branding and customer choice, I have a little story
to tell. Some days ago I met a Japanese young lady, who came to pick up one
of the phones that we were giving away for free. I had them all lined up,
with their accessories and their chargers, sorted by carrier. She looked at
them, obviously troubled to decide which one she should take.

Wanting to help her, I started explaining some of the models and their
technical characteristics. I said something like "This one is a rather new
Sha-mail model from J-Phone, it has a built-in flash, and an advanced
camera. (...) But this ones comes with an external flash. (...) And that one
has an MP3 player..." and so on.

The Japanese woman looked at me as if I am coming from the moon. What the
heck is this woman talking about, she seemed to think. She clearly dismissed
the external flash model, saying: "Oh thats impractical! It will get lost
immediately."

Then she looked at the phones again, and finally asked "Which one is from
J-Phone?" Me: "These two. This one has the better camera though..."
Impatiently she interrupted me and grabbed the other one, saying: "I take
this one. Its pink".

I don't mean to tell this story so that we keitai insiders laugh about her
technical ignorance. I think its a rather interesting story telling us what
choices consumers make, and what the reasons behind their preferences are.

Andrea