(keitai-l) Re: i-mode vs net

From: Dave <dmg_at_autotelic.com>
Date: 07/18/00
> > and Au. Just as Marx predicted, each shake up in the marketplace creates
> > fewer companies of larger size.
>
> I disagree. I'd love to see 100 operators all competing. The
> catch is they must
> have complimentary technologies. Imagine if you could buy any
> phone you wanted
> and use it with any operator. Operators would have to
> differentiate themselves
> on service and price and contents. Things would be much more
> interesting than
> three giants battling for market share.

I wasn't putting forth the idea of "fewer and larger" companies as being
anything good. Just remarking that it's one of Marx's basic tenets that as
time goes by eventually small companies are eaten by bigger ones or die of
their own accord leaving room for the bigger ones to expand, and we are
seeing it in action with DDI acquiring and assimilating IDO and Tuka. It's
definitely not a good thing, it's just what Marx thought was a natural
tendency of the market place.
But, to repeat, I'm not in favour of it. Hundreds, if not more, small,
quickly developing companies which had technologies that were at least
compatible, if not standardised, would be a much better situation for the
consumer. My own company would thrive in that marketplace. As it is, with
(for example) NTT's overwhelming market share and ability to manipulate what
services get offered and in what form, is a huge obstacle to me putting out
a service which I believe people would really like.

Dave