(keitai-l) Re: i-mode vs net

From: Petri Ojala <ojala_at_ascend.fi>
Date: 07/18/00
 > Imagine if you could buy any phone you wanted and use it with any
 > operator. Operators would have to differentiate themselves on service
 > and price and contents.

Exactly and that's why I wonder if there's really any good reason for
the operators to subsidize the phones.  From what I've seen and heard,
it could even be the opposite with people misusing the offers,
changing numbers frequently etc.

There are perfectly good examples in the market that a country can
achieve high mobile penetration in a short time even without
subsidized phones.  I wonder if there has been any statistics how
revenue and profit is received per customer in subsidized and non-
subsidized markets?

Most of the numbers to my colleagues, friends and other people on my
mobile phone are to mobile numbers.  I would hate to change the
details if many of them would change the number every 3-6 months.

The GSM SIM card is typically "permanent", can be upgraded to a new,
better SIM card without loss of number and only changed when the user
really wants to change number.
The phone is something I change for various reasons, if I change
employee the new employee most likely buys me a new phone.  Or I might
consider upgrading if there's a new model in the market that offers
real value, eg. new services, features or smaller size.

We (Finland) do have the problem that the number is operator dependent
but the example from UK with portable mobile numbers is very
interesting.  I wonder if it has been painless to the customers..

BEst regards,
Petri