(keitai-l) Re: OT?: Keitai camera image transfer (MMS/mail) throughput analysis?

From: Dirk Rösler <lists2003_at_unicircuits.com>
Date: 07/14/03
On Sunday, Jul 13, 2003, at 00:31 Asia/Tokyo, Gerhard Fasol wrote:

> this is easy to answer: you just take the image size (in kbytes)
> and devide by the data rate.

Not quite correct, you have to consider protocol overheads like
headers/trailers etc which also need to be transmitted, not just the
data payload. Then there's also things like acknowledgements which
require full headers but may have an empty payload. Also data payload
fields may not be filled 100% all of the time.

So to transfer 50k of data, you are transmitting and receiving more
than those 50k in total.

I don't know about the protocols and their (in)efficiencies in the
keitai world though, someone please educate me.

Dirk