(keitai-l) Re: iAppli IMAP proxying service?

From: Jon Ellis <jon.ellis_at_sun.com>
Date: 07/08/03
Juergen Specht wrote:

> But, but...sorry to be picky, but I try to find the logic behind
> things...

You may be looking vain...

> So basically you want to "stop using a docomo.ne.jp address" and are
> concerned that it "gets spammed"?

Yes, in the long term i want to stop using a docomo.ne.jp address (see below
for why.) In the short term i'm concerned that my current docomo.ne.jp address
gets spammed.

> In this case you should use DoCoMo's highly effective block filters
> to block just about all mail from all domains (wildcard), with or
> without forged headers.

Almost all spam headers are forged. After living with 15+ spam mails a day for
a few months, i have some experience of this.

Those "highly effective block filters" are useless for blocking spam. I've
tried both, listing addresses / domains to be denied, and listing address /
domains to accept. In both cases the mail keeps coming. I even went as far as
testing my assumptions about the wildcards with an address i own - the filters
only work for non-forged headers.

Talking to my Japanese collegues, they have the same issues. Even if the
filters are setup to *only* accept @sun.com, spam still gets through.

It seems the only solutions are, control your own mail server (a la Curt) or
change your address if it gets infected. In the short term i've changed my
address. In the long term i'm going to work on using an iAppli to access a
different server where i can use effective filtering.

> Or just get rid of the i-mode service completely! Saves 300yen a
> month! :)

Radical ;-)

j.