(keitai-l) Re: Foreign press at G8 rate i-mode a flop?

From: calvin lash <calvin-lash_at_hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Date: 07/24/00
Andrea Hoffmann wrote:
> Is that bad preparation (the press didn't know enough about
> the phones in advance) or will i-mode be a Japan-only success?
> Or are the journalists simply ignorant?

Nah. It's just that most of the reporters at the G-8 are from Tokyo or
Osaka.

To the few NAMA-GAIJIN reporters covering the event, the iMode looks
like a joke because the iMode's hideous lack of word-wrap with random
breaks in words and of course there is the problem of the relative lack
of English iMode sites compared to WAP.

<calvin-lash@hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Hitachi Communication Systems Inc., TPS -- translation/localization
since 1961

<!---===== FYI ========--->

Summit-goers nonplus organizers

Yomiuri Shimbun

NAGO, Okinawa -- The Group of Eight summit in Okinawa Prefecture has
provided some surprises for those involved in the event. Volunteer
translators  and mobile phone companies are idle...............
<SNIP>
NTT DoCoMo Inc. prepared 300 Internet-access i-mode mobile phones to
overseas media free of charge at the International Media Center.

As of Saturday morning, only one-third of them were being used.

The service was meant to show the world the progress Japan is making  in
information technology. Although the firm was expecting about  4,000
foreign journalists, only about half that number have come.

"We are disappointed because it was a good chance for overseas
journalists to see technology that does not exist in other  countries,"
a spokesman of the Kyushu subsidiary of NTT DoCoMo said.

SUNDAY. JULY 23, 2000 ----- The DAILY Yomiuri