(keitai-l) Re: i-mode security issues

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/20/00
Nina Young asks, among other things:

> ....where does the processing power come in to handle both
> the above [128 bit encryption] and java?

I can't say speak to the security issues,
but I think this last concern is the least
of the worries.  Java might be a problem only
in its memory (RAM and ROM) requirements.
The CPU power really is there - chip families
like ARM (now StrongARM, an Intel line,
but with a long and illustrious embedded-systems
history prior to being acquired by Intel) are
pretty amazing these days.  See

http://developer.intel.com/design/strong/1110_brf.htm

for a sampling of what might be put in a phone
now.

Sure, your keitai might get a little warmer
when it's encrypting something, but it won't
melt the plastic.  :-) Nor even run the batteries
down so much.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com