(keitai-l) Re: i-mode security issues

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 07/21/00
NYoung@jup.com wrote:

> I've been told that i-mode is less secure than wap because there is no "over
> the air" security protocol..(I know the wap gateway has other security
> problems)

Blanket statements like that make whoever told you such a thing look rather
silly, at least in this context.

Right now, digital radio packets sent between handsets and radio towers are
encoded via a proprietary NTT DoCoMo scheme, of which they will publicly release
zero information.
Is is severely non-trivial to intercept, decode, and understand digitally
encoded cellular radio packets. It is reasonable to assume that one would need
some serious engineering knowledge AND a bevvy of high-end equipment. Perhaps a
handful of rogue NTT DoCoMo engineers could do it.

That being said, b/c there is no public information, and no encryption, the air
transport can be classified as untrusted.

> 1. How does DoCoMo make secure money transfers between bank accounts or the
> inputting of credit card information? How did they convince banks that this
> was a secure process?-Is it? And if it is, how does it work?

Financial settlement information is sent between banks and DoCoMo via 128 SSL
encrypted dedicated
lines, server to server, NOT via radio packets through the air.

> 2. Does Access's current browser for the DoCoMo phones have ssl? (I think
> no)

No.

> I know that they've announced a microbrowser with 128bit ssl for the next
> generation of phones..With this, they avoid the whole security issue with
> access's end to end payment solution but..
>
> where does the processing power come in to handle both the above and java?

Chip specs for 503 generation handsets have proven to be sufficient for 128
encryption calculations in lab tests. Commercial viability SEEMS proven, though
503 java handsets ship date has slipped from early fall to winter.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature