(keitai-l) Re: i-mode vs net

From: Dave <dmg_at_autotelic.com>
Date: 07/18/00
Not like me... I held on to my IDO phone for five years, and get a
"whopping" fifteen percent discount on my usage rate, which translates on
average to about 500 yen off per month. It took four years to get to that
discount rate, and I can't see any other benefits of having held onto it for
so long - other than I don't want to change my number. Seems to me that none
of the companies - well, IDO in any case - are really doing anything
substantial to retain their consumer base. As a "netrepreneur", I know that
if I showed a similar inability to retain customers in my business plan and
such a reliance on changing technology, every VC would laugh away any hope
of investing in me.
By the way, and this is apropos of nothing, I noticed IDO is changing their
name to AU. Given that their EZ web subscriptions are getting hammered
compared with J-Sky Net and I-mode, changing the name seems to me a little
like arranging deck chairs on the Titanic. Unless this comes with any
particular service changes that I don't know about. Anyone have any insights
on that?

Dave