(keitai-l) Re: Yeah, it sucks

From: calvin lash <calvin-lash_at_hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Date: 07/14/00
Michael Turner wrote:
> Whatever the accuracy of the prediction, I have to wonder
> about the reasons suggested below for why it's not here yet:
> performance.

So true Michael.... But, dang-it, real wireless broadband is getting
damn close. Even the funky PHS cell phones in Japan had ISDN-speed
capabilities.  At the switch level of those ubiquitous antenna boxes on
the utility poles have had ISDN speed from the day of the introduction
of PHS (PCS) several years ago.

> What's really happening here seems to be what's always
> happened when a new platform-class suddenly hits: multiple,
> competing, roughly-equivalent protocols.

Yes, I remember all too well the bad old days of "multiple, competing,
roughly-equivalent" platforms like the CP/M operating system, Trash 80s
and Commodore VIC-20. Sucks, I'll confess and say that I even bought a
new Sinclair S-100 doorstop to store my research data rather than haul
around a trunk-full of punch cards.=:-o

It's just the multiple development issue of making an iMode page and
then a WAP one is a drag on the spirit. I started before 7pm and now at
6:50pm I still looking a stack of unresolved issues of deploying content
on multiple browsers and protocols. It is like Bart Simpson
<http://bl.net/forwards/simpsons.shtml>  always having to write
something 500 times on a blackboard:
	"This punishment is not boring and pointless."

<!--==
calvino <calvin-lash@hitachi-cs.co.jp>
Hitachi Communication Systems Inc., TPS
-- translation/localization since 1961