(keitai-l) Re: Yeah, it sucks

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/14/00
Whatever the accuracy of the prediction, I have to wonder
about the reasons suggested below for why it's not here yet:
performance.  Is there really not enough horsepower in the
palm, and bandwidth over the ether?

TCP/IP stacks (including highly-optimized ones like KA9Q) that
ran on rather low-caliber hardware (8Mhz '286 class CPUs)
have been around since the late 80s.  And cellular network
speeds are not that slow, are they?  For tiny screens, 9600
baud is certainly adequate, and last I head, cellular nets can
do substantially better than that.

What's really happening here seems to be what's always
happened when a new platform-class suddenly hits: multiple,
competing, roughly-equivalent protocols.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com