(keitai-l) Re: Getting i-Mode & News for 3G

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 07/06/00
> I am moving back to Tokyo this September or October. When I lived there
> earlier, I just to have keitai which was really easy to get. I am planning
> to get i-Mode this time, but I wonder if it could be purchased as your first
> hand-set?

purchasing a docomo imode phone as your first hand-set is no problem
as long as you have an alien registration card *and* a visa valid
for more then 90 days (which means that you can't get a docomo
phone as long as you are a tourist, even if you register at the
kuyakusho and get an alien registration card).

so, you will have to have a working or a student or a spouse visa
or the like to get a docomo phone. CdmaOne (IDO and DDI) are not
that strict by the way. If you agree to pay with your credit card,
you don't need to have the alien card and can sign up as a tourist
as well.

prepaid phones are the easiest to get of course, but there are no
imode or wap prepaid phones onn the market ASAIK. the ones you
can get offer just plain phone functionality: making and receiving
calls.

Andrea