(keitai-l) Re: Getting i-Mode & News for 3G

From: Stuart Woodward <woodward_at_vgkk.com>
Date: 07/07/00
> purchasing a docomo imode phone as your first hand-set is no problem
> as long as you have an alien registration card *and* a visa valid
> for more then 90 days (which means that you can't get a docomo
> phone as long as you are a tourist, even if you register at the
> kuyakusho and get an alien registration card).

Even if you have a valid alien registration card you might find that it is
not accepted.

A friend recently went to the store to purchase a phone and the assistant
insisted on seeing her passport even though the same information was on the
Alien registration card that she had presented.

I don't think the shop assistant was being difficult but had genuinely never
seen an Alien registration card before and wouldn't let her purchase the
phone without a passport. So, she left the store and went home to collect it
but on the way saw a better cheaper, phone in a small shop went in and that
store keeper accepted her Alien registration card!

If you are going to get any sort of phone for the first time, save your self
some trouble and take your passport along with you just in case.