(keitai-l) Re: BREW Apps, J2ME

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 07/25/03
Bill Volk wrote:

>It is CRITICAL that J2ME MIDP 2.0 not repeat these mistakes.  A test
>suite that certifies phones could be a good step.

I've been thinking about this recently.  I just wrote some classes to
make the DoJa environment more similar to the JPhone/KDDI one, and have
been running extensive unit tests on the code in the emulator stage.

It occurred to me that it would be very helpful if I could run a suite
of tests on the phone using an appli and get back a report telling me
which, if any, of the phones java features were not supported fully.

Unit testing is becoming steadily easier for Java (and other programming
languages) outside of the keitai environment - it would be great if it
could make it to the phones too. (I know there is a J2MEUnit thing - but
it doesn't actually run on the phone itself, at least as far as I know)

It also occurs to me that one could write a JPhone/KDDI support suite
for DoJa, so that all three phones would run the same code.  Although
actually an automated code conversion tool might be more efficient ...
the conversion process from DoJa to JPhone/KDDI seems to be pretty
predictable ....

CHEERS> SAM