(keitai-l) J2ME Practitioner Survey

From: Stephen Cheng <scheng_at_creativehq.co.nz>
Date: 07/25/03
The J2ME Practitioner Survey is now open at
http://www.onlinesurvey.co.nz/J2ME/.

This survey intends to provide the J2ME development community (including
game and business application developers) information on the current state
of practice in the industry. The targeted participants are the CTOs, project
managers and developers in this sector. The information collected will be
reported on line (free of charge to everyone) at the end of August 2003 and
updated regularly thereafter. I believe the survey results would be useful
for practitioners and business management alike. Your participation is most
appreciated and necessary for the success of this survey.

Open letter from Stephen Cheng:

Hello,

I am preparing a presentation abstract in response to the call for abstract
for Game Developer Conference 2004
(http://www.cmpevents.com/GDx/a.asp?option=N). The presentation I have in
mind relates to software engineering best practices for mobile java
applications such as mobile games. J2ME platform is shaping up to be an
important development platform for the next generation of mobile devices.
However the unique combination of platform capability, competitive
environment and technological environment make this a tough arena to
succeed. The fragmentation of "standards", the severe limitations of
handsets, and the short time to market are all part of the challenge facing
this industry. Certain well-established software engineering practices, such
as reuse, separation of interface and core logic, and a methodical
profiling/optimizing process could drastically improve productivity and
reduce the risk of mobile application development. However these engineering
practices are generally perceived to be inpractical/unsuitable for mobile
application development, and are not widely practiced.

During my research I have found a lack of information regarding the current
state of practice. Without such information it is difficult to improve the
tools, practices and processes. I believe such information would benefit the
practitioners, and business management alike.

I have developed this survey but of course it is useless without your
participation. I will appreciate if you could help me in this endeavor. The
result of the survey will be publicly available on-line, free of charge. I
hope it will also provide useful insight for you too.

Thank you very much for your participation. If you have any question please
feel free to email me.

I would like to thank Totally Digital (http://www.totallydigital.co.nz) for
hosting this survey.

Sincerely,
Stephen Cheng (scheng@clear.net.nz)

P.S: FYI I am not a mobile application developer nor a game developer. I do
however provide consulting on software process engineering and mobile
application/game development in New Zealand.