(keitai-l) Re: Moblog Appli

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 07/22/03
Hi David,

J. David Beutel wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Jul 2003, Sam Joseph wrote:
>
>>See the thing is I would like the appli to only be relying on the
>>presence of standard blog API functionality on the server so the
>>potential user doesn't have to install extra scripts and so forth ....
>>

>A worthy goal!  I love standards.  ("there are so many to choose from")

:-)

>I thought, if you're only sending a 7K image, then why not just email an
>i-shot?  But I suppose processing an email would require a special script,
>hence the appli win.

Right - current moblogging services tend to rely on configuring sendmail
to handle incoming emails - the process of attaching the photo to the
email can also be somewhat fiddly.  With the moblog appli you just need
a blog and your phone, no additional scripts.

Although admittedly I had to add a Base64 encoding module so that my
blog could handle the incoming images.  It seems not all blogs are set
up by default to handle the full xmlrpc api - but at least there is a
standard framework.  As far a moblogging goes we just seem to have lots
of random perl and python scripts handling photos attached to emails -
of course an advantage here might be that the emails can support larger
attachments than the POST from the appli can support ...

>But personally, I plan to run custom stuff on the server side, and I want
>to post big pictures...

Well you're a techie - custom stuff is the name of the game - for one
reason or another you might prefer emailing your moblogs.  Still the
java on the phone opens up other options, such as editing the GPS data,
doing some speech recognition (JPhone) and other things.

I've no doubt that eventually the 10240 byte limit on the POST in doja
will go the way of the 10240 limit on the appli size (remember the 503).

And actually I think we can support larger images over multiple POSTs,
only I probably won't add that to begin with.  I'm quite pleased to have
got most of the other functionality working, so I think I'll leave it
there for a while, instead I'm going to focus now on getting the same
thing running on JPhone and AU and on finding somewhere to host the
source - I hear Sun has a new open source java hosting thing - maybe
I'll check that out.

CHEERS> SAM