(keitai-l) AW: Radio on mobile

From: Jan Michael Hess <jan_at_mobileeconomy.de>
Date: 07/18/03
hi helen,

> I'm researching into the possibility of radio broadcast to
> mobiles. So I was wondering if it was possible to broadcast
> radio programmes to mobile phones digitally - i.e. not using
> the incorporated FM radio? Is this something that
> you could do with GPRS if you had realplayer installed, for
> example? Or will it be a 3G only application?
> Is anyone doing this already?

broadcasting radio to mobile phones over GPRS or UMTS or CDMA2000
etc. - you are basically talking about audio streaming over
a wireless network. As you probably know, companies like packetvideo,
real, oplayo, hantro or emblaze all have software solutions for this
today. the main problem is not the technical solution but rather
the pricing of wireless data traffic.

until mobile network operators start value-based pricing
that, for example, would offer a monthly subscription to some
funky electronic jazz channel with some cool, optional one-to-one
advertising for events and new CD releases (reducing the
price just a little bit) for 5,- euro/month including all
data traffic received a good amount of time will pass.
Over a 3G network data traffic will be cheaper, so expect newcomers
like "three" starting something similar. so the vision
of underground wireless radio stations will remain a vision
for too long. ;-(

best, jan.

Jan Michael Hess
CEO, Mobile Economy GmbH