(keitai-l) Re: Text input usability WAS Re: Re: predictive text input

From: Howard Andrew Gutowitz <hag_at_eatoni.com>
Date: 07/17/03
Hi Kyle,

We've done *a lot* of research/testing in this area.
See: http://www.eatoni.com/research/index.html

in particular:

 "Barriers to Adoption of Dictionary-Based Text-Entry Methods: A Field
Study"
Proceedings of the
10th Conference of the European Chapter of the Association
for Computational Linguistics (EACL), April, Budapest, Hungary

It shows that most problems with learnability and usability of
dictionary based methods are to be traced to mode switching,
and the intrinsic conceptual error of "an SMS dictionary".

Several laboratory studies on the same page, including:
LetterWise: Prefix-based Disambiguation for Mobile Text Input.
I. Scott MacKenzie, Hedy Kober, Derek Smith, Terry Jones, and Eugene
Skepner.
We conducted a longitudinal study to compare LetterWise to MultiTap, the
conventional text entry method for mobile phones. The experiment showed
that the mean entry speed was 36% faster with LetterWise than with
Multitap.

which compared Eatoni's non dictionary, modeless system to T9
and to multi tap.  It shows that T9 is like the little girl with the curl, when
it's good it's very very good, and when it's bad it's XXXX.

If you'd like, you could send us a list of domain names and
we could calculate how many keystrokes would be required
to enter them using our LetterWise and WordWise systems.

regards,

hag

Howard Gutowitz
CEO, Eatoni Ergonomics, Inc.