(keitai-l) Re: Text input usability WAS Re: Re: predictive text input

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 07/17/03
I don't know exactly how to do it but,

1 how the user moves the finger or fingers,
2 the user may need to hold the handset differently, like for the # key

3 where the user sees on the display/keypad, and how his focus moves

#1 and #2 may be derived from keystrokes, but you need statistic data
to set up a model first.  less keystrokes doesn't necessarily mean
less effort or less stress.

I heard Microsoft has a lab with video cameras shooting from different
angles to study Windows and applications.

as for the physical design of the handset, I heard Japanese companies
(Sony is one) have collected thousands of ear shapes from the people
around the world to design ear plugs/phones.  but I haven't heard any
handset maker has done similar study for mobiles.

cheers,

Ken