(keitai-l) iAppli Piracy

From: Mathew Smith <Mathew.Smith_at_smart-fusion.com>
Date: 07/15/03
There is a lot of debate about DRM and piracy (P2P, post-Napster, Kazza =
etc, etc.) and how this as a business issue is blocking the deployment =
of data services in Europe. This (the logic goes) is because content =
providers e.g. Java games suppliers, and aggregators e.g. Bodaphone =
Live, are afraid of piracy eating into profits. One proposed solution to =
this is so-called DRM - digital rights management - for which a standard =
is being developed inside the OMA.

My question is how does piracy and DRM related issues affect the data =
market in JP? I would be very interested on the opinion of the list as =
to what really happens in JP about this 'problem' and how the JP =
experience may transfer to the ROW (rest of the world).

Mathew Smith