(keitai-l) Re: J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!

From: <Martyn_Williams_at_idg.com>
Date: 07/15/03
Juergen,

Hi. I'm not so sure about the hit on customers.

I guess the biggest impact might be on new subscribers who don't recognize
the name but I bet many will quickly be put right by sales staff who will
explain that it's the new name for J-Phone or J-Sky. That might be easy to
see. Au and J-Phone had a virtually identical number of subscribers at the
end of June and attracted an almost identical number of new users so
changes going forward will be easy to see.

As for existing subscribers, they have had some time to get used to the
name so far and they will be seeing it more and more on their monthly bills
and new handsets, which will be carrying the Vodafone name and thus
reminding them of their carrier's new name each time they flip open their
phones. Users seem to pick up on new technologies and services being pushed
at them fairly fast so perhaps this will also apply to the service name.

It would be interesting to hear any insight people have on the impact of
the switch from IDO and DDI Cellular to Au, Digital Phone to J-Phone or
Digital Tu-Ka to Tu-Ka. Personally it didn't really mean much to me and I
soon got used to the new name but perhaps I am not an average consumer.

Martyn

                      Juergen Specht
                      <js@nooper.com>          To:       keitai-l@appelsiini.net
                                               cc:       (bcc: Martyn Williams/NEWS SERVICE/IDG)
                      07/15/03 16:57           Subject:  (keitai-l) Re: J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!
                      Please respond to
                      keitai-l

> J-PHONE's J-SKY Service to Rebrand as Vodafone live!
> J-PHONE changes mobile internet service name with Vodafone brand adoption
> on October 1

Oh my, they will lose a lot of customers in this process...still
nobody really knows who Bodafone is, just ask a random J-Phone
user.

I remember as KDDI announced AU...what a confusion for a year.

Good luck Bodafone.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp

This mail was sent to address Martyn_Williams@idg.com