(keitai-l) Re: EXIF anywhere?

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_nooper.com>
Date: 07/14/03
> At 1imc there was some excitement regarding publishing moblogs which
> include locational information. Moblogs owe their success in part to
                                                    ^^^^^^^
I doubt "success" yet, and would call it hype so far. Even the term
"moblog" or "blog" is rather unknown in Japan (except in a specific
scene of the usual suspects), while the Japanese diary scene is and was
always huge and gets widely ignored (also from the usual suspects).

The book I read right now (The Pillow Book of Sei Shonagon) is pretty
much a blog (in American terms), just that it was written about 980
(that's a thousand years ago). Now show me an American blog that old :)

> the relative simplicity of publishing via email (versus iAppli, etc.)
> so this then places the onus on carriers to add locational data (in the
> EXIF) to images at capture if locational moblogs are to be realized.
> 505s don't do this so is this just a case of wishful thinking by
> developers or is there actually a move by DoCoMo et al to include
> locational data with images?

To include this info into the image, the phone has to know where
it is located. That's easy and becomes a standard when all phones
are equipped with GPS. As long as they are not, DoCoMo has a hard
time to add the location information. And using an workaround via
i-area would be messy and expensive, since the camera has to be
synced to the network...this would generate some privacy blues.

I know that Sony was/is working on a project to actually include
much more data to images...including complete HTML pages connected
to parts of the image (image mapping). So for example you receive
an image with 3 people on it, with a special browser you could
see the date/time and location when/where it was taken (that's
standard EXIF) but also background information about the people
when you point your mouse on the specific person. Kinda like
the web up-side-down and instead of images in HTML pages, HTML
pages in images.

It sounded like an interesting idea, but my friend who was working
there got transferred so I have no idea if they still work on it.

Juergen
--
Juergen Specht, CTO, Nooper.com - Mobile Services Inc., Tokyo, Japan
i-mode & FOMA consulting, development, testing:  http://nooper.co.jp