(keitai-l) AU's student discount (gakuwari)

From: Lance Fetters <ashikase_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/14/03
Is it possible to get AU's student discount if you are a student at a
university outside of Japan?

I am a student at Drexel University in Philadelphia.  I am currently on a
1-year internship in Japan (Gifu area).  I am interested in getting a keitai
from AU, both for the GPS capability and also for the possible student
discount.

I went to a keitai store (carried all brands, not just AU-specific) and
asked about the discount, but was told that I couldn't get the discount
because my school is not in Japan.  However, none of the AU (English)
documentation mentions that you have to be attending a Japanese school.  My
co-worker told me I should be able to get it, and to just go to another
store.

I have my student ID, as well as an International Student Identity Card
(ISIC) and a 'proof of enrollment' paper from my school.

So, is this a lost cause, or should I keep trying?  Saving 50% would be
great, considering how expensive phone plans seem to be here (as compared to
the U.S.).

Thanks for the help,

Lance F.