(keitai-l) Re: Common web sites on J-Sky Internet

From: Dirk Rösler <lists2003_at_unicircuits.com>
Date: 07/09/03
> Any site? If I remember right, you are a Nooper user, or not?

Well, I daren't say "any", cos I don't know that exactly do I. "Any
site on the whole wide net" is a bold statement to make.

> Can you access Nooper? It's outside the official network.

Yes, but it is made for phones, so I suppose it doesn't really count
since it is meant to work. Conclusion: it can't be the location alone.

> Or do you specify "any" as in "any site you can not access" excluding
> the ones you can access? It's hard to not sound like a smart-ass if
> you are not very specific in your question.

Man, I would be more specific if I had done any testing. That's why I
am asking the experts, for starters how to test at the first place. To
re-iterate: many sites I could previously access do no longer work.
With Codomo I never had an arbitrary web page downright refused. It
would at least begin to load and then stall in some way... or come out
OK. But it would not give an error straight away. Specific enough?

> If you suspect that there is a size limit, why not upload a simple
> test page to your server and access it with your Keitai. Than you
> just add some more words to it, access it again and check if there
> is a threshold of maybe "bigger than 5kb" which you can not access.
> Just a tip.

I don't know what to suspect. I have done a test with a simple HTML
file >5K. It works as expected.

> That's how they make (more) money, of course. But normally it's
> possible to access at least some pages.
>
> But J-Phone limits the available bandwidth to the outside world,
> if you *sometimes* can access pages and sometimes not, you are maybe
> a victim of bandwidth limitations. Try again later.

No, I doubt the bandwidth/congestion thing. I think it has to do with
HTML complexity somehow. Question is whether this is browser dependent
or happening somewhere in their network. My vague guess would be that
there is a sort of Voodoo<->Internet gateway or proxy somewhere. If I
immediate get error messages that all look the same saying "this site
cannot be accessed using J-Phone" it indicates something along those
lines...

Dirk

PS:

>> No need to be a smart-a**e
>
> I failed the membership test, unfortunately:
>
> http://smartasses.org/join.html

That's because you misspelled it, mate