(keitai-l) Re: iAppli IMAP proxying service?

From: Jon Ellis <jon.ellis_at_sun.com>
Date: 07/08/03
Juergen Specht wrote:
>>My suspicion is that someone bought this particular address
>>- i don't recall giving out anywhere but it is certainly
>>possible. My only option is to change the address but that
>>is going to cause considerable pain.
 >
> Mhm, why?

Just telling people that the address has changed. If it has happened once, i
suspect it could easily happen again. This doesn't appear to be the case for
most people. Probably being too pessimistic (as usual) :-)

>>Anyway, i've found a codebase that does the IMAP proxying
>>that i mentioned. It's actually publicly available as part
>>of a SunONE Studio download. I mean, where else would it be...
>
> I don't really understand your objective anymore. You don't want
> to change your docomo address, but want to use a IMAP proxy to
> read your mail...this has nothing really to do with each other,
> because the external mail (via IMAP, POP, whatever) is totally
> independent of your docomo email.

Right, nothing to do with each other. I have an existing spam free (filered)
email address that is accessible via IMAP. My plan was to stop using a
docomo.ne.jp address and use one of the others where i have working spam controls.

> So I try to guess...you maybe want to use an external address
> as your main mobile address (aka the Curt Sampson way) and tell
> this address to your friends and read this mail via your homegrown
> IMAP proxy.

Bingo :-)

> It sounds to me that the effort of telling all your friends your
> new non-Keitai address which you will read on your Keitai is the
> same effort of changing the docomo address and tell this address
> to your friends.

Yes and no, i already use the other address. But if the new docomo address
gets spammed i'm back to where i started and have no choice but to change yet
again.

j.