(keitai-l) Re: Digital Shoplifting

From: EGIS Tokyo <hoffmann_at_egis.co.jp>
Date: 07/07/03
Hi,

> let us not forget that phones equiped with a camera are an easy way to
steal
> company secrets.
>
> I read in a dutch newspaper, that employees of Volvo are not allowed to
have
> phones equiped with a camera. Volvo is affraid that it's personel will
steal
> dellicate production processes.

More on the same:

Samsung Develops Fear Of Camera-Phones
http://www.bwcs.com/marketing/index2.cfm?subcat=4&id=1&findid=2170#2170

(07/07/2003, BWCS Staff) To most of the world it looks like a case of
extreme irony, but to Samsung Electronics in Korea the recent banning of
camera phones in its factories is seen as a sensible precaution. Samsung,
which is one of the world's largest makers of mobile handsets, fears that
other companies could use its own products for spying purposes.

A terse statement from the Korean giant said, "Use of camera phones will be
restricted in our most sensitive plants such as research and development
centres and semiconductor labs."

As the popularity of such devices has spread from Japan and Korea to other
markets, so concerns over their possible misuse have increased. Already some
councils in Australia have banned the devices from swimming pools and
beaches fearing that unauthorised shots of men, women and children in their
bathing gear may go on to feature on the wrong type of website. Similarly,
it is feared that camera-phones could be used in violation of copyright at
rock concerts or other entertainment events.

Japanese mobile operator J-Phone has added a "click" function to its
camera-phones in order that people can at least hear that a photo is being
snapped. Previous versions were soundless. Samsung meanwhile has said that
it will allow workers to carry camera-phones in sensitive areas providing a
plastic sticker covers the lenses.

end of quote

--
Andrea Hoffmann