(keitai-l) Re: Digital Shoplifting

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/04/03
I think some of this is also a lack of understanding of copyright
and intellectual property rights.
For both there is the concept of "fair use" for good reason.

I am not a lawyer, but I have a feeling that what these guys
are doing with the camera might fall under "fair use",
but I am not sure of course.

Not that someone said on the list, that these newspapers are
promoting "good manners" - they are not saying "stop this crime",
which they would if this was really a crime.

The recording industry did not tell Napster users: "please
improve your manners" - they went to court and closed Napster
and "stopped the crime" - that's not what the newspapers are doing!

Actually, in the US there is a big amount of very clever discussions
about whether the concept of copyright should be adapted for
the digital age to stimulate more creativity.

Gerhard

Arjen van Blokland wrote:
> I do not understand why Japanese publishers get so upset about digital
> shoplifting.
>
> Everybody entering a Japanese convenience store can see about 10% of all
> people in the shop ireading magazines.
> Nobody is making any comments about this analog shoplifting.
> I just checked my local conbini in Ueno for any warning posters about this
> analog theft any couldn't find any.
>
> Arjen van Blokland
> 104.com
Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html