(keitai-l) Re: [Internet Insight]2000.07.14: Wireless Web, Listen Up

From: Andrew Sandes <andrew_at_asiaentry.com>
Date: 07/27/00
I agree with you (or the global players) that telephony access to
information will be a "killer app" - whether or not that information is
already on the internet.
Voice portals are already and will become even more so a massively popular
way for the generally non-techy people and those without access to PC's or
wireless internet to access specific information. It is not a technology
that lends itself to browsing however.
It might be new content specifically designed to fit into that framework but
I think it will move forward in leaps and bounds within the next 12 months.
If you look at voice recognition companies like Nuance and Speechworks in
the US - they are creating some of the hottest access methods to information
that is often now web-based. They both are just starting to iron out their
Japanese speech recognition algorithms so it will be interesting to see what
applications pop up in Japan.
It is not so much trying to put the whole internet experience into a voice
format but simply allowing information to be accessed simply by the users
voice prompts.
The user just says to the system what they want such as stock quotes (TD
Waterhouse, Etrade), parcel tracking information (Fed Ex), flight
information (United), and then continue to drill down until they reach the
information which they need. It is quite different from IVR systems in use
today in that it uses a lot of artificial intelligence wrapped around the
speech recognition to allow the user to speak naturally to the system rather
than be dictated what choices are available and listening to endless lists
and "press this button requests".
It is not that relevant to keitais now except that in the future these
systems will be one of the major ways to access specific information.
AS