(keitai-l) Re: Looking beyond Japan

From: <jason.c.freedman_at_ac.com>
Date: 07/21/00
Hi Andrew,

I am very interested in the billing system you work with.

Some billing models which I've seen discussed are:
1) for the service itself either subscription based (iMode is really this
and not pay per view) by service or for the whole package.  This makes the
transaction somewhat larger and billable once per cycle, but still requires
a subscription not a buy on site concept.

2) normal, boring credit card payments through pseudo-SSL on WaP.  IMode
doesn't have this type of security yet, but with java.....  Great for large
purchases but I think that the model is different for phones.  It costs too
much (too high a percentage)  to charge every time "hello kitty" is
downloaded to someone's phone or a single MP3 is downloaded through a phone
to someone's player, etc.

The model this is good for is more like you're walking with your
significant other past your local <name your favorite store> after the late
movie (maybe midnight).  It's closed, but your SO loves that <name their
favorite thing here> in the window.  Out comes the keitai..   www.spend
your money.com et voila, it gets delivered in the morning....

While this will certainly happen, I think it's much more likely that we're
dealing with small payments so...

3) Micropayment companies like Qpass (there are a million of them) are all
trying to get in this space.   Ideal situation:  Same couple, same date.
1) looked up movie through phone, bought tickets online (payment to qpass),
then downloads the movie reviews - free.  Gets out of movie, looks up for
local restaurant for snack.  Makes reservation through phone (small
kickback for reservation company, through restaurant's qpass account).  On
the way, passes CD shop.  Find's out the new, um, Mozart collection is out.
Say's, "wow! I never knew Red Hot Chili Peppers did classical" I've gotta
download a cut".  Downloads to his Keitai/MP3 player (Qpass account again).
Listens, orders full album sent to his home system (another transaction).

Well, you get the idea.  We can nickel and dime him to death this way, but
it feels like he's paying nothing...... 8^).

The advantage of this concept is that the micropayment companies take a
months worth of transactions and make them one transaction on your credit
card.  They don't do any of the backend work so their costs are low and
they charge very, very, little for their services - yet, you don't have to
prepay for a subscribed service.  It also offloads this cost from the
retailer.

What do you think?

Jason Freedman

keitai-l-bounce@appelsiini.net