(keitai-l) too many brands (was Re: Re: i-mode vs net)

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 07/19/00
Hi,

> Actually, this is another good point. AU doesn't just refer
> to Internet access. "EZweb" is the internet services brand.
> Remember, IDO offered EZaccess services, and DDI offered
> EZweb services. This has been merged to be EZweb for all of
> it. This is the internet services brand.
>
> AU is the corporate brand, and it isn't just for CDMAOne
> phones. The new G series phones (PDC) are also being branded
> under AU.
>
> See? Too many brands!

wanna read something really confusing I just found on
the net about cdmaone, ezweb and i-mode (even without
adding au)? then read this (and tell me how many mistakes
are in that short two paragraph):

"IDO/DDI/KDD (soon to merge into KDDI)- post-merger will
be Japan’s #2 telecommunications service provider; pushing
a different standard from DoCoMo (cdmaOne) which offers
similar packet-switched wireless Internet access (dubbed
EZAccess); DDI is also one of the major players (along with
Astel and NTT in the PHS market)"

and:

"The EZAccess and EzWeb services offered by cdmaOne
companies, like iMode, offer a variety of informational
services, although iMode is considered superior for its
current selection of transaction-type services (e.g.,
banking and ticket reservations)."

source:

Smartphones: A Survey of Trends and Technologies
http://dmsweb.badm.sc.edu/mgsc890/Smartphones/regions1.htm

No further comment,
Andrea
--