(keitai-l) Re: SMS vs email?

From: Lance Fetters <ashikase_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 07/30/03
I'm rather new to Japan's cell phone system (and cell phones in general),
but the major cell providers in Japan have capabilities which (I believe)
are similar to SMS.  For example, I have an au phone...  I can send a short
text message consisting of up to 100 single-byte characters (50 double-byte)
to any other au user... this is called Cmail.  If I want to send a text
message to someone using another carrier, such as J-PHONE or DoCoMo, I have
to send an Email.  Cmail are free to receive with au, Email are not (both
cost to send).  J-PHONE and DoCoMo also have similar capabilities, though
I'm not sure about the cost structures.

Hope that helps.

- Lance