(keitai-l) Re: Nokia 6650

From: Gerhard Fasol <fasol_at_eurotechnology.com>
Date: 07/24/03
> Is there a large WCDMA network, or is it just available in some places?

There is not only one large wCDMA network -  but
there are two + a third CDMA 2000-1X. See:
http://www.eurotechnology.com/3G/

> Suppose I use a dutch Vodafone sim card, will this work?

No.

> Will the network support roaming?

Outbound roaming yes for all three carriers,
however, KDDI not for GSM networks but for CDMA
networks, e.g. US, Hong Kong etc.

Inbound roaming no.

> It would be interesting to have a phone that works both in Japan and in
> Europe.

Yes, DoCoMo has such a dual 2G phone for GSM and PDC -
but it's a very old design and not attractive,
and J-Phone has such dual phones for wCDMA and GSM, there
are an early development and pretty heavy - expect the
designs to improve in the future.

Gerhard

Gerhard Fasol, PhD                         Eurotechnology Japan K. K.
fasol_at_eurotechnology.com               http://www.eurotechnology.com/
Find us in "IBM developerWorks" and in "Chemical & Engineering News":
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/wireless/library/wi-elite8.html
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/topstory/8049/8049bus1.html