(keitai-l) Re: Moblog Appli

From: Sam Joseph <gaijin_at_yha.att.ne.jp>
Date: 07/23/03
Hi Stephan

Stephan Szarafinski wrote:

>In my opionion, the best way to send the picture is through multiple posts.
>Posts can be binary,

I don't know that they can.  There are often restrictions on http
transmissions from japanese phones - and when I have previously tried to
post binary over http from a 503, it broke the http mechanism.

Now in normal non-keitai http we can use content-types like
application/octext-stream and image/jpeg etc. to send our binary data,
however in the 503 spec the only content-type allowed was:

application/x-www-form-urlencoded

Now I think this has been relaxed in later specs - I can specify
text/xml in the 505 , but there may still be restrictions.

All> please correct me if I'm wrong - could the 503 post different
content types? is the 505 unrestricted?

>so you just have to split up the picture in blocks of
>1024 bytes.

we're allowed up to 10240 bytes with the 505

>This makes it possible to show a nice progress bar. It also
>gives you less chance in complete resend errors during sending. You don't
>have te resend 20kb if the connection drops at 19kb... just resend the last
>block.

True, true.

>On the server you need a small application that reassembles the blocks into
>one file.
>This can be written in PHP or ASP, or whatever you like. It's not very
>difficult.
>The result would be a single image file.

Yeah, but them someone would have to install that file server side, and
ideally the appli will be useable as part of a single download.
 Actually at the moment to use the appli I have created you have to
download it from the same server that your blog is on, and adjust the
jam file, but it is simpler than making sure a script is installed and
working. [I'm labouring under the assumption that the 505 is still
restricted to contacting the server it was downloaded from, somebody
please correct me if I'm wrong]

Of course in the AU and JPhone universes we have more flexibility -
although AU will probably still require you to put the appli on your
blog server, you'll just be able to blog to more than one blog from the
same appli, while JPhone will let you blog anywhere.

Actually that makes it seem like a JPhone moblog appli will be the most
convenient - since you can just download the appli, enter your blog info
through the phone, and away you go, no need to touch your desktop or
server at all.  Of course we don't have the same camera access in the
JPhone, but there are some juicy speech recognition functions ...

I think breaking up the image and sending it over multiple XML-RPC posts
could work too - and then you'd have three jpeg files on the server,
which you could reassemble using html.  This would achieve the same
effect without the script, but then it might get a little messy in some
browsers ....

CHEERS> SAM