(keitai-l) Re: J-Phone 3G data service

From: Ken Chang <carigate_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 07/20/03
Gerhard,

if we only look at good services/technologies to learn, and not
the market size that DoCoMo has nearly 60%, we can mostly ignore
i-mode until this spring/summer, the new 505i with Flash.

I like 505i handsets a lot, D, SH, and F are all terrific.  I also
think the DoCoMo's service planning people have brilliant ideas,
please bear these in mind when you read on.

i-mode started as an imitation of an American technology, UP/WAP
which, though not commercially successful, had been around for two
years over AMPS/CDPD networks when DoCoMo launched i-mode in 1999.

as you know well, in the first two years, 1999/2000 or 501i/502i,
i-mode was basically a messaging service (DoCoMo never got an SMS
MAP standard for PDC.  Ericsson/Logica defined the PDC SMS protocol
for J-Phone and TU-KA).  so i-mode just enabled DoCoMo to provide
a messaging service to counter those by its rivals.

J-Sky was late, but with it J-Phone introduced the 6 KB Long-Mail
which would become the transport of the Sha-Mail service starting
in November 2000.  DoCoMo would never have a chance to catch up
with J-Phone, not with i-shot 251i/504iS or the new 505i.

on the Java front, J-Phone introduced it's first Java phone J-SH07
(my all time favorite, comparable to 504iS) in June 2001, nearly
half year behind F503i.  but DoJa 1.0 totally lost the point and
it's JSCL that went the right way and set the standard everyone
else have to follow, including DoJa 2.0/3.0.

I also like au/KDDI a lot but they are not on the level ground with
PDC so it would unfair to compare.  let's see how much FOMA will
try to imitate au/KDDI's cdma2000 and J-Phone's VGS services in
the years coming.

cheers,

Ken