(keitai-l) Re: KDDI, BREW and CP

From: Ben Hutchings <ben_at_decadentplace.org.uk>
Date: 07/07/03
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 03:26:36PM +0200, Oliver Wittchow wrote:

> i do not quite understand how low-level BREW really is. can a program
> access the actual hardware via pointer for example?

This should be impossible, but I don't know whether it is.

> or is it just a sandbox with a more extended and optimized API?

If you mean by "sandbox" that it implements a virtual machine, then
no, BREW applications are compiled to ARM machine code.

There are BREW APIs for many phone features that are not accessible
from Java, but access to these is a privilege that must be requested
by the developer before the application is approved:
<http://www.qualcomm.com/brew/developer/resources/ds/faq/techfaq21.html>.

--
Ben Hutchings  |  personal web site: http://womble.decadentplace.org.uk/
Logic doesn't apply to the real world. - Marvin Minsky