(keitai-l) Re: W-CDMA vs CDMA2k

From: Graham Brown <gbrown_at_wirelessworldforum.com>
Date: 01/12/02
Thanks -good article. I agree that WCDMA will become the standard of
choice - as it says in this article - although it's not an argument that can
be dealt with objectively (it's akin to GSM vs CDMA , NT vs UNIX etc.) The
issue is often obscured by matters of national pride (Qualcomm is an
American company and WCDMA is the standard of choice in Europe and for
DoCoMo too).

Generally the migration path for CDMA operators is easier due to cost.
Moving from cdmaOne - cdma2000 1X RTT - cdma2000 will be a lot quicker than
GSM - GPRS - WCDMA. Hence, we will see many rollouts occur in USA before
Europe *BUT* most of these will be theoretical rather than realistic
network-wide rollouts with consumer bases(as much as BT launched GPRS in
June 2000!).

For anybody researching the issue further there is a bunch of FAQ questions
to expand the subject here :-
http://www.wirelessworldforum.com/printout2.php/11345/0
What 3G implementations are being used in Japan ? 2002-01-08
What is CDMA 2000 ? 2002-01-08
What is IMT 2000 ? 2002-01-08
What is the 3GPP ? 2002-01-08
What is the UMTS forum ? 2002-01-08
What is UMTS ? 2002-01-08
What is W-CDMA ? 2002-01-08
Where did cdma2000 originate from ? 2002-01-08
Where did WCDMA originate from ? 2002-01-08
Who are the main proponents of cdma2000 ? 2002-01-08
Who are the main proponents of WCDMA ? 2002-01-08

As usual - ammendments and comments on the answer most welcome.

Best,

GB