(keitai-l) Re: [java based phones]

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 12/20/00
Eric Hildun writes:

> Actually, using Appstream type intelligent downloading will significantly
> decrease download penalties, and high quality JIT compilation generally
> takes care of the performance issues.

But we were talking about how it looked, now how fast it downloaded and
performed.

The downloading had better be pretty friggin' intelligent given 5K
instruction
memory sizes starting out....I still have several inoperable lesions in my
brain
from all-nighter debugging of heavily-overlaid FORTRAN code back in
the late 70s.  (YES, I'm that old, and NO, I don't want to talk about it.)

JIT compilation in a handset?!  Of a crude sort, I suppose...anybody
got any inklings on this one?

-m
leap@gol.com

From: "Jonathan Shore" <jshore@e-shuppan.com>

[Michael Turner]

> >> This situation seems to roughly parallel one of the issues that first
> >> arose with Java as a server-side web language: how to get applets
> >> to look snazzy in any browser.  The most honest assessment at the
> >> time was that applets were unlikely to ever match handcrafted
> >> application GUIs.

[Jonathan]