(keitai-l) Re: 2 tech questions

From: Wenzi <wenzi_at_letterbox.com>
Date: 12/08/00
Nick May wrote:

> Does anyone know of any papers that go into these issues in detail?
> Can anyone suggest any Apache/Mysql tweaks specifically to improve the
> efficiency of serving such smallpage/lotsa-hits sites?
>
> It is the database side that worries me, one can do loadbalancing on the
> webserver/scripting language side, but having separate database boxes is
> harder unless you design that possible requirement in from the start. I
> know there are lots of ways to reduce lookups, pseudo-dynamic pages
> created using cron-jobs, etc etc
>
> if you have got this far, thanks for reading

concerning the database, your situation would be the same as any other
'lotsa-hits' site.  A lot depends on your design. Do you use indexes
where appropriate ?  Do you use persistent connections? etc,etc.

So here are some things you can do

1) Use indexes to speed up your selects
2) optimize column types, such as using char over varchar, using NOT NULL.....

3) Lock the table when you are doing an insert to gain speed.

If you are really concerned about the Linux/mysql  connection limit, try
Solaris on Intel.  Mysql on Solaris handles connections much better.

YMMV

-me -

> Nick
>
> /   May Ltd.     nick@kyushu.com
> /   Mitsui Yakuin Heights Suite 903, 2-11-33 Yakuin, Chuo-ku, Fukuoka
> /   Japan 810-0022   Tel/Fax   81 (92) 735 7933    090 8835 5602

wenzi   wenzi_at_wenzi.com http://www.igerg.com

Your best consolation is the hope that the things you failed to get weren't
really worth having.