(keitai-l) Re: Foreign press at G8 rate i-mode a flop?

From: Michael Turner <leap_at_gol.com>
Date: 07/25/00
Thinking about this again (and re-reading the article), I think
maybe DoCoMo's blunder was in not handing out keitai's
on a first-come-first-served basis.  They made a distinction
between "foreign journalist" and "japanese journalist" that
was counterproductive.  If they had not discriminated, western
journalists might have seen Japanese journalists scooping
up phones for the "free call" value alone, and using i-mode
incidentally.  This would probably have given the phenomenon
more exposure than restricting the give-away to westerners.

Then again, as someone has already noted, many of these
western journalists are actually posted here in Japan, and
are no stranger to the phenomenon - perhaps they even
have i-mode keitais themselves in many cases.

Michael Turner
www.idiom.com/~turner
leap@gol.com