(keitai-l) Re: too many brands (was Re: Re: i-mode vs net)

From: Andrea Hoffmann <ah_at_anima.de>
Date: 07/20/00
Hi,

This mail is becoming a bit off topic but well, after all
it's a holiday today :-)

> Incredible, isn't it. It makes you wonder how much false
> information we  believe when something is written about
> a subject we aren't really familiar with.

true. I have been working for a daily print newspaper in
Germany once, which is even worse in publishing hoaxes
then most web zines, since the daily deadline is always
tight and you have never time for checking the bare facts
once more.

we even have a special word in German for hoaxes published
in a newspaper: they are called "Zeitungsente", which is
literally a "newspaper duck" but means a hoax in a newspaper
or magazine.

Ever since that experience I lost any respect for that: "But
I saw it in the newspaper!"

The web is a very good tool in that sense, because it
allows you to double and cross check the facts you read
or hear. it's safe to assume that almost everything
you read is probably wrong at least in some way ;)

CU,
Andrea
--
Andrea Hoffmann -- Editor-in-Chief --  hoffmann@westcyber.com