(keitai-l) Re: [Internet Insight]2000.07.14: Wireless Web, Listen Up

From: Dave <dmg_at_autotelic.com>
Date: 07/18/00
> Actually, I don't think you'll get much argument on this.
> I certainly agree.  The problem, however, is that it seems
> that most people still want a pocket phone to be a pocket
> phone, Palmpilots are just a shade too big, and as soon
> as you stick one against your ear, it would have to stop
> being a Palmpilot and become some dumb old phone.

What I think would be cool is a something about the size of my Sony IDO
phone which would open like a book to reveal a screen inside. I'm holding it
in my hand right now along side my Palm Pilot, and two of them side by side
would equal a little more than the whole width of the Palm.
Of course, with current technology, there would be a split in the middle of
the screen where the hinge for the phone was. But if you extend the concept
of digital paper to becoming an interactive foldable screen, then that
problem is solved, assuming the material can bend enough without necessarily
being creased. That's my ideal model for a PDA/Browser/mobile phone
combination. Open it up and use it like a Palm Pilot. Close it and use it
like a phone.

Dave