(keitai-l) Re: designing for small screens (was Re: Re: Fw: [euro-w] Re: iMODE)

From: Juergen Specht <js_at_anima.de>
Date: 07/15/00
Michael Turner wrote:
> [...]
> Mobile phones are voice-delivery devices FIRST (in fact,
> *real-time* audio-delivery devices, though that doesn't
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
If you ever telephoned with somebody next to you, you will
see that there is a delay of almost one second between the
movement of the mouth and the voice in your ear...this is
not real realtime, right? ;)

> Which is to say: most truly effective bulk content delivered
> in the near-term will be probably be audio, and more
> specifically, voice, not visuals, since voice is what handsets
> are optimized to deliver within the packaging constraints.
Since online connections (here: calls) are still very expensive,
i think the future is more an integrated MP3 player and a stereo (!)
plug to switch your headphones in. So you can download audio and
hear it with only one device you already carry with you.

I know that NTT is working (or are they finished yet?) on a system,
where you can download complete songs (real songs, not only tunes)
over their network with a modified handset...
but nobody ever had talked about 'radio' (= realtime) as far as i
know.

Future will tell.

J.