(keitai-l) Re: Java in mobiles

From: Renfield Kuroda <Renfield.Kuroda_at_msdw.com>
Date: 07/15/00
Note: this entire email is based on assumptions as little has been
publicly released by NTT DoCoMo yet.
That being said, I feel fairly confident that:

* Java on I-Mode handsets will start with the 503i series, to be
released hopefully by the end of this year
* Java on the 503i handsets will run as applets in the browser on the
phone.
* KVM is virtual machine, will run J2ME
* You will be able to download applets from the Web to the phone
* You will be able to save applet(s) on the phone (screen memo?)
* Applets will be able to function without network connectivity (that
is, once they're downloaded  to the phone, they can function even if
I-Mode connection is cut)

Big guess:

* Applets may be able to download data from the network w/o user
explicity clicking on I-Mode button (example: weather applet
automatically downloads forecast info every 5 minutes so that whenever
you look at the applet it's updated)

Once again, this mail is 99% conjecture b/c so little real information
has been released publicly.

r e n

--
ascii: r e n f i e l d
octal: \162 \145 \156 \146 \151 \145 \154 \144

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature