(keitai-l) Re: developing java applets for i-mode

From: Melissa Hao <mhao_at_MIT.EDU>
Date: 07/12/00
> > The specs for NTT's implementation (APIs) of java haven't been publically
> > published yet to my knowledge, but is believed to be the same or surely very
> > similar to Sun's KVM. The company Access is making the java enabled plugin
> > for their own browser which is used in most i-mode phones (I heard like 80%
> > of i-mode phones). Their webpage provides good details.
> >
> > http://www.access.co.jp/english/product/proline/jvlite.htm
>
> Not entirely sure that's the way to go. Access's JVLite is based on pre-2.0 Java
> and I think 503i handsets will support J2ME. Actually I'm going to Sun on Friday
> so I'll letcha know if I find out anything good.

could you ask, that would be great.

will 503i handsets use Accesss jv-lite?  it sounds like I should ask
Access about this... I searched the web for jv-lite and I can't find
anything written after 1998.  I'd at least like to know if I should
prototype in 1.1 or 1.2.  (although it would be nice to know more
about the jv-lite api.)

to summarize:  there's no way i can get my hands on one of the
java-enabled phones in
http://sun.systemnews.com/system-news/jobdir/submitted/1999.07/1701/1701.html
?  and even if i could, the VM/libraries will change so much that it
won't be worth it.

thanks!
melissa