(keitai-l) Re: NTT's java

From: Giles Richter Netcom <giles_at_ix.netcom.com>
Date: 07/04/00
Earlier in the year, there was much rumoring that in the rush to release the
phones as soon as possible, DoCoMo was going ahead with development even
though all the KVM specs were not completely settled, which aroused great
concern at Sun that DoCoMo would launch a non-standard kvm phone, and that
kind of clashes with the whole Java concept. DoCoMo and Sun have an alliance
based on this project though, and Access (maker of the i-mode browser, and
browsers for many non-pc devices, including java-enabled appliances, which
it is developing for Sun ) also acquired a Java license. DoCoMo's primary
dev partner for the KVM apps has those specs, but other developers are
waiting until the details become public, esp. given the rumors that KVM apps
will have to be tweaked for the DoCoMo phones.

That is what I heard.

-Giles